A Teach-In will be held- Department of African American Studies
Friday, September 12, 2014 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm in Maxwell Auditorium.
Mike Brown & Ferguson
The panelists for the Teach-In are:
Paula Johnson (Law)
Vincent Lloyd (Religion)
Herb Ruffin (AAS)
Sherri Williams (PhD Candidate in Newhouse)
Department of African American Studies
Wendy Brown Lecture 9/15/14
Phi Beta Kappa Visiting Scholar Wendy Brown will give a public lecture on "Women or Persons? The Naming Debate in Reproductive Freedom Campaigns"
Monday, September 15
All are welcome
Prof. Brown will be on campus for two days, visiting classes and meeting with students. She works at the interstices of political theory, critical theory, and feminism.
For information about Professor Brown, see: http://polisci.berkeley.edu/people/person/wendy-brown
Center on Human Policy’s 2014 BBQ
Greetings, friends! This link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/smn55wxv5nlwg6j/AACDzbe-VeuU9iKgRighYW-Ua will provide you with access to over 50 photos from the Center on Human Policy’s Annual Welcome Back BBQ – 9/10/14, in the Hoople Building, aka the Hoople “Nation” (an anti-imperialist, family-esque site for social change), on the SU Campus. Many DCC friends were in attendance. Anyone wishing to have (or needing) image descriptions, I am happy to assist (please advise). I did not set up the photos, nor take any of them. A few are blurry -- but they have a certain pointillistic charm…! Great to be with those of you who were able to attend. Kind regards from DCC Director, Diane Wiener
CALLS FOR PAPERS, CONFERENCES, SCHOLARSHIPS, AND PARTICIPANTS
A New Year means - a New Line-up of AHEADtoYou! Webinars
AHEAD brings you our 10th year of the always-popular 90-minute audio-supported webinar series - AHEADtoYou!
This year's titles represent what you've asked for, what you need, and what will expand your thinking as you work in Disability Resources and Services. AHEADtoYou! is one of the most convenient ways to get fully accessible, real-time captioned professional development for you, your staff and campus colleagues at an incredibly low cost.
This year we offer:
- An ABCD Approach to DS Office Administration
- Guiding Faculty toward Access: An Exploration of "Conceptual Change"
- Getting to ADA Compliance: How a Plan Can Help, Part I (Self-Evaluations)
- Getting to ADA Compliance: How a Plan Can Help, Part II (Transition Plans and Barrier Removal Plans)
- Adaptive Recreations' Impact on Student Experience and Campus Access
- A Culture Shift, Moving Beyond Compliance with the ADA
- Don't Fan the Flames. Turn Angry Faculty Emails into Positive Outcomes
- Disability Studies 101: What Professionals Want to Know
- Gender, Sexuality, and Disability: An Introduction
All AHEADtoYou! webinars are scheduled 3:00 - 4:30 pm ET to allow everyone to join us, and full instructions and materials are sent to you prior to each session.
Please visit http://www.ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/webinars for full session descriptions and our easy-to-use registration form. AHEAD members receive significant discounts over non-members, and the more sessions you purchase, the more you save! In trying to make this as affordable as possible, there are AHEAD member packages beginning as low as just over US$60.00 per session per site (not per person)!
We're always happy to take your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org and look forward to seeing you for these informative webinar sessions.
NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Fighting Shame with History (blog posting)
Disability Related Articles
Dr. Nora's Top Articles (11 of 81 news articles)
1. “Mentally Handicapped Are Held for Years Without Trial” --- "If somebody is retarded, and someone accuses them of a crime, then ... His IQ always tested on the cusp of what is considered mental retardation. --- Tampabay.com --- August 29, 2014 (FLORIDA) http://is.gd/RLV6ET
2. “Four Arrested in Connection to Autistic Child's Death” --- Shortly after Tamiyah Audain's 12th birthday the severely Autistic girl, who never spoke a word, died. Police said it ... --- CBS Local --- August 27, 2014 (FLORIDA) http://is.gd/mp5BUN
3. “Stepfather in Court on Charges of Starving, Abusing Autistic Girl” --- A long-distance trucker is due in court Wednesday on charges that he starved and abused his 15-year-old autistic stepdaughter and kept her locked in ... --- Atlanta Journal Constitution --- August 27, 2014 (GEORGIA) http://is.gd/1zioOR
4. “Desperate Act: Mom on Trial After Attempt to Kill Autistic Daughter” --- A Michigan man whose ex-wife is accused of trying to kill their severely autistic daughter says he's bracing for the trial that will reveal the depths of ... --- NBCNews.com --- September 2, 2014 (MICHIGAN) http://is.gd/Ljm5NZ
5. “Judge Blasts Department of Human Services, Expands Court Oversight of State Reforms to Aid Disabled” --- … 4, 2016, effectively placing the state's disability services under federal oversight for another two years. In an Aug. 22 letter to the court, Deputy Human ... --- Minneapolis Star Tribune --- September 3, 2014 (MINNESOTA) http://is.gd/MbgeZc
6. “Case of Mentally Impaired Teen Highlights Interrogation Shortfalls, Attorney Says” --- An attorney for a mentally impaired 17-year-old says tactics that St. Clair County sheriff's investigators used to get the teen's ... --- STLtoday.com --- August 29, 2014 (MISSOURI) http://is.gd/zncLys
7. “Mom Accused of Killing Her Disabled Daughter Could Get Trust Fund” --- A special education teacher accused of killing her severely disabled 8-year-old daughter by withholding food and medical care ... --- Tuscaloosa News --- August 31, 2014 (NEW YORK) http://is.gd/ZTCqUw
8. “Sexual Predators at Schools Target Most Vulnerable Children, Those with Disabilities: Study” --- Stephanie Amato, 30, a special education teacher in northeast Philadelphia, was charged this summer with statutory sexual assault and several other ... --- The Patriot-News - PennLive.com --- September 3, 2014 (PENNSYLVANIA) http://is.gd/d4WCo7
9. “Brutal and Allowed: The Shocking Ways Schools Can Legally Restrain Kids” --- In a prone hold, school staff hold a child face-down on the floor, which can restrict breathing. The restraint is so dangerous it's banned in at least 20 ... --- KATU --- September 3, 2014 (WASHINGTON) http://is.gd/tIL1JH
10. “Germany Opens Memorial to Nazis' Disabled Victims” --- Germany on Tuesday inaugurated a memorial to more than 200,000 people with physical and mental disabilities killed by the Nazis after their lives ... --- Kansas City Star --- September 2, 2014 (GERMANY) http://is.gd/sYeC9h
11. “Rates of Abuse Among Disabled 'Shockingly High' ” --- She says consultation reveals major and urgent issues for disabled people in Auckland that breach our obligations under UN Convention on the ... --- Newstalk ZB --- September 2, 2014 (NEW ZEALAND) http://is.gd/EskOy2
The Disability and Abuse Project of Spectrum Institute provides this newsfeed. These are articles involving people with disabilities across the life span, any type of disability and any type of maltreatment, abuse, crime or, articles regarding law enforcement issues and individuals with disabilities. We have a particular focus on individuals with developmental disabilities. We welcome your input and feedback regarding this feature of our CANDO List. Please note that the articles are listed in alphabetical order by state, so you can easily scan through the articles for those within your state or other states in which you have a particular interest
Disability Cultural Center
105 Hoople Building
805 South Crouse Ave
Syracuse, NY 13244
Phone: (315) 443-4486
Fax: (315) 443-0193
A UNIT WITHIN THE DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS